Thursday, July 21, 2011

20 Weeks





This Monday I hit the 20 week mark. The half-way mark. Wow. Time is going by really, really fast. I'm feeling our little girl move a lot. I also feel like my belly has really grown in the last 2 weeks.
Monday I went in for my "Anatomy scan". It was a half an hour ultra sound where the tech took "pictures" of almost every inch of our baby's anatomy. She was really nice, but definitely focused on the task at hand. She measured, looked at the heart, other organs and limbs and also confirmed that our baby is indeed a girl.

Today, I met with my OB to go over the ultrasound and have my 20 week appointment. I had been a nervous wreck all day. This morning I received the "results" of my ultrasound via email. There was a note at the beginning stating that the "cephalic index is slightly elevated at 88. Recommend follow up". My heart sank. I had no idea what cephalic meant. So. I googled it. It's a measurement of the head in relation to gestational age. It can be an indicator of chromosomal abnormalities. I immediately started freaking out that something was wrong with my baby girl. This was at about 1130am. My appointment wasn't until 4pm.

I decided not to alert B or my mom, or anyone other than the poor co-worker I was having lunch with at noon. I didn't want to cause a huge freak out over something I wasn't sure of.

Once I got to the appointment my nerves had really gotten to me. My smiling, bubbly OB walked in and I was basically really snappy and immediately asked what the hell was up with my baby's results! She looked over the results and said she was not the least bit concerned. She said since all the other results were "normal" she is just guessing baby has a big head. She jokingly asked if my family has big heads. Since my hubby's head is seriously huge, I had to laugh and tell her we do have some big noggins. Still, I pressed her for more details and she finally told me, "If there were something to worry about, believe me I would tell you." That finally made me feel better.

We listened to baby girl's strong heartbeat and that was it!

Pregnancy Highlights:
How Far Along: 20 Weeks
Size of baby: Baby is the length of a banana
Total Weight Gain/Loss: Lost 9lbs
Maternity Clothes: I love my maternity pants. Still in normal tops
Gender: It's a GIRL!
Movement: I feel her move everyday. Sometimes more than others. Little kicks and flutters
Sleep: Sleeping better now that I have a Snoogle
What I miss: sleeping on my tummy
Cravings: sub sandwiches, hot wings
Symptoms: feeling really good, just more tired than usual
Best Moment this week: Making my first outfit purchase for baby girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment